8.25.2006



Warning!!! This is a PSA that some human pets will probably not enjoy at all.

A bit of a history: Here in New Jersey, near the Delaware River, we have lots of bugs. Especially in our town we have these "camel crickets" which are like crickets on steroids. They like to live by the hundreds in our garage and move into the basement when it is cold out. While these creatures are very tasty looking, they can jump really high and are related to cockroaches and I don't think they would be tasty treats. Crickets, while annoying, do not freak meowmy out that much. Neither do the tasty spiders. What freaks meowmy out are these creatures: Scutigera coleoptrata . They crawl up the walls and are really scary with all of their nast legs! When she had first met the Chip Man (meowmy was 16!) one time they were lying in her bed (yes, just lying there) and all of a sudden the Chip Man told her not to panic but there was a centipede in her hair. Sure, lets not panic about that one!!! In her old house with grandmom there were TONS of these bugs. In our house, we usually don't see them.

Last night meowmy was watching me use the litter box (privacy please!) when she looked up and saw the biggest one she had ever seen. He was 6" long and 2" across with his leggies. She FREAKED OUT and screamed for the Chip Man to come kill it. She wouldn't let us kitties in the room which really made me mad, the bug looked tasty!

It never ceases to amaze me the stupid things these human pets are afraid of. Please, its a bug. Eat it already!

9 comments:

The Meezers or Billy said...

our mommy freaks out at bugs too - big time freak outs! she almost moved out of the house 'acause of a spider

Gemini said...

My Momma hates bugs too. But I like to eat them

Madness, Trouble, Squish and Milkbone said...

I think this particular bug freaks out just about all the human pets. I don't like big spiders either. When they are small it's OK, I just squish them. But the big, hairy ones freak me out.

Victor Tabbycat said...

Mom found one of those in the bafroom, acrost from the throne when she was about to sit. She made Dad come get it insteada callin me or Bonnie. She shoulda called us cuz Dad wasn't sure he actyouly got it. Mom read they're good bugs that eat ofur bugs, but she don't like it anyway. Too many elbows.

Big Piney Woods Cats said...

Momma hates the slugs about that bad. She shudders and can't step on them, so she salts them! Yes, she takes the salt shaker and puts salt on them and they shrivel and leak all over the sidewalk! If she would just let me at em.....

Mittens

Shaggy and Scout said...

Yuck! We have those things in our basement laundry room too! Sometimes mom sees a big one, but often they are about the size of the picture you posted. Sometimes we find them in the litter boxes. Mostly they are downstairs but sometimes we seee them in the upstairs bathrooms. Mom hates them too. they really are the only bugs in the house except for house spiders. Ish.

Zeus said...

Latte, your human lady pet and my pet could be best friends based on this story. My human pet doesn't like bugs at all, and when she sees a cockroach, mosquito hawk, frog, etc., she screams to high heaven and has a near breakdown. She becomes paralyzed with fear. It's just unbelievable!

Skeezix the Cat said...

Wow, those bugs sownd yummy, but the big one sownds abowt as big as me, so I don't know how brave I'd be if I saw it in persun. Mr Tasty Face never ever kills bugs (ixcept my fleeze) --- he very carefully traps them and takes them outside and sets them free. The Food Lady sez that's one of the reezins she fell in luv with him and wanted to kiss him, becuz he is sweet that way.

Rascal said...

What is it with humans and bugs? I agree with you Latte, if it's tasty, then eat it!